There is a proposed bill in Olympia (SB5770) that seeks to increase property taxes. I note that several political action committees, such as the Association of Washington Cities (AWC), are eagerly endorsing the proposed bill. Part of the AWC agenda is assist local governments get more funding to help pay for increased legislation from the State (the “challenge”), which seems reasonable as our State has essentially mandated myriad rules concerning land use and other areas. However, to solve this challenge, would it be better for local government to receive a larger slice of the existing property tax collections or is it a better policy to increase the amount of property taxes our state/county/city will receive via this proposed bill, or is there yet another way forward? In the link above, “NEW STUFF”, I added a new blog post that provides some facts, maybe a hue of opinion, and considerations.
What are some of the key priorities for Clyde Hill?
- Financial responsibility – achieve a sustainable budget for our operations of the City
- Comprehensive Plan – complete the Plan during 2024
- City Code – create a code that has clarity; create a culture of consistency
- Stormwater Utility – begin the process that will yield the the creation of a Utility
- Zoning – address the myriad of new laws from the State of WA that impact zoning
- Culture – create an atmosphere where the Mayor, City Council, Police, City Admin are an effective team
I am currently a Councilmember on the Clyde Hill City Council. This website is not affiliated in any way with the City of Clyde Hill. Information on the website was written by me in my capacity as an individual resident of Clyde Hill. Some of the information contained here might be opinion/perspective provided by me, or references from public sources. As noted above, none of the information or views expressed herein are necessarily the position of the City of Clyde Hill or any elected official of Clyde Hill. The costs associated with the website are paid for by me. My address for contacting me via snail mail is 9526 NE 31st ST, Clyde Hill WA 98004.